Audio: Operator (Papaya)
In October 2000,
Brad DeMoss announced the
DDR Project to the AMV ML, which was to (as a group project) make a
72-minute anime music video to the Dance Dance Revolution 3rd Mix non-stop
megamix CD. In the end, almost 30 editors made 41 videos which were
joined together, and the DDR Project premiered at
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2001.
I'd never edited a video to music like this before. I listened to
the CD, and an idea struck me for the sixth track. So I emailed Brad
at something like 4AM to request that track. Due to other projects and
things, this video was (relatively speaking) kind of a rush job for me,
but I'm still happy with the results, because I was able to put together
what I originally imagined. I had envisioned a "traditional" (for lack
of a better term) AMV pulling back to reveal four pictures-in-picture,
connected together by a waveform and a phone, representing callers and
their "lovers". There would also be phone numbers scrolling in the
background, Matrix style. I later thought of adding another layer
(there were 13 in all) which was a bunch of blue lines with yellow
"signals" going across them randomly.
There's a picture of the format below. The video used techniques that
I had done before in my Virus video. Using the picture-in-picture format,
I was able to use over 155 sources in less than 70 seconds. I have a
master list, but I think it's more fun to have people guess the shows.
Note that the females are on top, and males below, joined diagonally.
I also tried to keep the clips facing the phone, when characters faced
left or right.
At first, in my haste, I noticed that there were a certain number of
frames between two beats, and edited the picture-in-picture clips that
way. This wasn't good enough though (the scene changes drifted out of
sync), so I had to redo it. I was going nuts trying to find the beats
easily in the waveform, until I ran a lowpass filter over the WAV and
they were much easier to find. (I thought this was the coolest thing
ever when I figured it out)
For Brad to put them together, we had to give him footage five seconds
before and five seconds after our songs as well. Since my song started
relatively "cleanly" with the "Are you ready?" I wasn't sure what to
use at first. Then the picture-in-picture aspect made me think of a
windowed OS, which gave way to the OS/"loading" screen.
- The picture-in-picture was simply done with Premiere motion events.
- The connecting lines are actually the waveform of the song. I dumped
it from Winamp to VHS, then captured it back in.
- The phone is a 3DS model converted to VRML, viewed in
Netscape/Cosmo Player, sent to VHS, captured back in.
- Numbers/Lines: I wrote software to generate a few thousand bitmaps for
some layers. I thought the layers were too prominent, so I blurred them.
Two final things: 1) I was rather pleased with my choice of "operator"
2) There's also a rotate-around-the-head-and-shoulders shot
of Kyosuke in the second KOR movie, and I thought it would be neat to fade
between that and the similar Madoka shot, but Kyosuke looked annoyed,
and I didn't want that.